Advertise Here

ES2007S Professional Communication

First of all, I’d like to thank my group mates Team KKGS for all the effort they’ve put into this project. Even though we often had to stay back late for our discussions, you guys made the experience more enjoyable and not so much of a chore. :)

Moving on to reflect on my own presentation, I would say I’m satisfied with my individual performance. I felt more confident of myself this time around, as compared to my peer teaching session. This could be attributed to the fact that we had more time for preparation and rehearsals before the actual presentation.

During our rehearsals, I had a tendency to fidget and speak too quickly, causing me to fumble over more complex phrases. Being aware of this, I tried to remind myself to speak at the right pace for today’s presentation.

As for my weaknesses, I’m aware of my over-reliance on cue cards. For past presentations, I often relied on the slides to help me recall my script. However, with the slides being so sparse this time around, I could not use this approach. While I did try to memorize my script, I sometimes forgot what I wanted to say when maintaining eye contact with the audience. Thus, I had to refer to my cue cards to prevent myself from stalling.

Though I cannot say that I’ve made huge improvements in terms of presentation skills from my peer teaching session, it was definitely a valuable experience. The oral presentation was a good opportunity for me to practice my oral communication skills, as I seldom get the chance to do so for my other modules.

7 comments:

Germaine said...

hi,
i thought you delivered a smooth performance and there really isn't much to pick on. As you mentioned, it would have been better if cue cards were not used as it seems to limit your gestures and body language. i also thought you could more eye contact with the audience. overall, i think you presented fine..

Divya said...

Hey Gwen,

No worries on your delivery. It was pretty smooth. In fact, it is amazing you guys tried explaining without cue cards as your topic is rather technical with some big, scary words. I think the timeline was a good idea in anchoring the audience to what you were proposing.

The only thing I felt was that you could have emphasized more on exactly what change you were proposing because in the beginning the order of incorporation of these changes was not evident. It was only in the end that I understood what your team had in mind.

But all content related comments aside, you spoke very calmly and confidently. I also feel that you naturally give slight pauses during the presentation which allows us to absorb what you have said. All in all,very effective delivery.

Cheers,
Div

Gwen said...

Hi Germaine,

I agree that it'll be better if cue cards were not used. It was a bit difficult to remember my script while maintaining eye contact though. I probably need more practice on that. Thanks for your comment!

Gwen

Gwen said...

Hi Divya,

I understand where you're coming from.. Perhaps we should have spent more time explaining the proposed change. Thanks for your comment and great job for your presentation!

Gwen

Xian Rui said...

Hi Gwen,

I think that,you performed quite well in the oral presentation. You looked more confident than the trai. And I agree with Divya that the change that you proposed is not ver clear.

Xian Rui

Gwen said...

Hi Xian Rui,

Maybe my group should have mentioned our proposed change earlier in the presentation so that it would be clearer. Thanks for your encouragement and all the best to you!

Gwen

Shi Ting said...

Hi Gwen
sorry for such a late comment.
ok, i think that your voice projection was loud and clear, thus you sound quite confident to me. And as you have mentioned, you tend to look at the cue cards a little too often.

But in overall, you did quite well for the oral presentation.

And good luck for the exams=)

Post a Comment